Tuesday, July 2, 2013

In a world of her own






It has been a while since I watched a recent film that captivated my interest in terms of cinematography, costume, and plot. By recent I mean, one released in the present time. And in my case, in the scope of the past couple of years or months.

Specifically, it was Korean Director Park Chang-Wook's Stoker which starred the lovely Mia Wasikowska, overrated Nicole Kidman, and the disturbingly handsome Matthew Goode.

People may know of Park from his twisted Oldboy tale, of which the story interests me deeply as I am fond of films that disturb my mind. It's kind of a love-hate relationship, this thing I have for odd, creepy, and immoral realities, say, incest between beautiful siblings, sexually repressive but later on consummate May-December affairs, then some.



In particular, I loved the fact that it was directed by a Korean director, whom I am sure, enjoys these kinds of realities as well. And then, what made me love the movie more was that it starred Wasikowska. But what sealed my love for this film was its highly-stylized quality. I love how the clothes were treated with much importance as that of any other important aspects of film making. I loved how the clothes meant something and actually contributed to the whole story telling of the film.


The story wasn't that complex. It was vague and mysterious and could really make you guess hard about where the story is heading towards. But very simple too and decadent. I was turned on, admittedly. The story strikes the perfect balance between terror, thriller, and sensuality - just the way I like it. The film had a lot of elements that are reminiscent of the 1997 film, Lolita, but very more Gothic and lighthearted.



Ultimately, Stoker appealed to my style sensibilities. As of late, I have found myself exploring the pleasures of the 50s and 60s preppy/lady-like/boy meets girl fashion. I have always liked the idea of it but never saw it as a look that I'd go for. Most probably because I relate more to the rugged, bohemian spirit that is innately me. But I've dropped all cares earlier in my young adult life and succumbed to it. Which is why I am so very happy with Stoker and see it as a great fashion inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment